2017 Student Engagement Program
Careers2017 Student Engagement Program
The Institutes CPCU Society and the CPCU-Loman Education Foundation are committed to attracting the best and brightest students into the property-casualty insurance and risk management industry and to helping these students succeed throughout their careers. To support these efforts, we are offering college students the opportunity to engage with experienced mentors, as well as financial support to begin their CPCU® journey, through the 2017 Student Engagement Program.
Students accepted into the 2017 program will receive:
Support to attend The Institutes CPCU Society 2017 Annual Meeting, September 16 through 19 in Orlando, Florida
The CPCU Society Annual Meeting brings together thousands of insurance and risk management professionals at all levels in an effort to educate, inspire and empower current and future industry leaders.
Students will receive:
- Complimentary registration, allowing admittance to all educational and general sessions
- Complimentary breakfasts and lunches September 17 through 19
- Admittance to the student welcome and networking reception
- Admittance to both Career Conversations small group mentoring sessions
- Three nights of accommodations at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Travel reimbursement of up to $500* on airfare, train or mileage travel reimbursement
- A $250 stipend to cover additional expenses, including transportation, dinners and business attire
*To qualify for travel expense reimbursement, students must participate in all Annual Meeting activities, including the student welcome reception, mentoring sessions, and educational and general sessions.
Six-Month Participation in The Institutes CPCU Society Mentoring Program
Through the CPCU Society’s intuitive software, students accepted into the Mentoring Program will be matched with veteran CPCU Society members based on their interests and career goals. During the mentoring experience, students can set and meet goals with their mentor, which may include passing an exam, completing an internship, drafting their resume or setting their career path.
This program is designed to be flexible, allowing students to learn from their mentors and achieve the goals that will most help them successfully enter the workforce.
All applicants must:
- Be full-time sophomores entering their junior year or juniors entering their senior year; enrolled in an accredited college or university; and majoring in insurance, risk management, or actuarial science
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Display continued excitement and commitment to entering the insurance industry and completing their CPCU designation
GIS student membership in The CPCU Society preferred but not required.
Applicants will be evaluated based on demonstrated academic excellence, interest in the risk management and insurance industry, and commitment to pursuing their CPCU designation. A maximum of fifteen students will be accepted into the 2017 program. No more than two students from the same academic institution will be accepted in a given year.
How to Apply:
Deadline: May 15, 2017
Applicants must submit the following to MemberResources@TheInstitutes.org:
- Completed 2017 Student Engagement Program application form
- Resume detailing coursework and/or experience in insurance, risk management, and actuarial science
- Letter of reference from supporting faculty member or academic adviser
May 15, 2017: Deadline for applications
June 30, 2017: Notification of acceptance
September 16—19, 2017: Participation in the 2017 Annual Meeting
October 2017: Mentoring program begins
Students who successfully complete the Student Engagement Program will be encouraged to apply for the following to further support their career growth:
- Loman Internship Financial Aid Program
- Eligibility: College juniors and seniors
- Award: Up to $2,000 to offset the cost of an internship
- President’s CPCU Scholarship Program
- Eligibility: College students and early career professionals employed in the property and casualty insurance field
- Award: Up to $4,000 to cover the cost of completing the CPCU designation
- Candidate Membership in the CPCU Society
- Eligibility: Individuals with 2+ completed courses in the CPCU program
- Benefits: Complimentary educational resources, continued participation in the mentoring program, discounts on Annual Meeting and local chapter events, access to job board and resume critiquing, and more!